There are 5 choral scholarships awarded in the senior choir on an annual basis. The details are as follows:
- Annual Choral Scholarships are available for young adult singers and former choristers.
- Scholarships are given to those who demonstrate vocal distinction or potential, and help with travel costs and further musical training.
- Candidates are usually aged between 17 - 25 and are auditioned by the Abbey's director of Music, Dr George McPhee MBE.
- Scholars are expected to take part in all services which have a choral dimension and benefit from singing a wide repertoire of music.
- Scholars become part of the fellowship of the church, and are expected to provide role models for the young choristers.
- Scholars come from The Royal Conservatoire of Scotland (formerly the RSAMD) and elsewhere.
- Many former scholars have gone on to have successful careers in music.
- Scholarships are funded entirely through the generous donations of various Charitable Trusts, The Society of Friends of the Abbey and benefactors. Unless funding is forthcoming every year, the Scholarship Scheme cannot continue.
- Donations to support the scheme are sought and warmly welcomed.